Friday 25 February 2011

The Duality Of A Creative Mind

Its a well known phrase, The tortured genius, many people similar to myself know the feeling of it from personal experience. In most creative or intelligent people it is basically a by-product that along with this gift that they have, there is always a price to pay.

It is in the type of thinking that makes a creative brain both revolutionary and destructive, the process of thinking, imagining, analysing and criticizing is not restrained to one area of life. It may be helpful in many ways however this process of thinking is strongest when it is internalised and often makes the person extremely self destructive.

This manifests itself in many ways from depression and anxiety disorders to bipolar disorder and even schizophrenia, Many well known intelligent and creative people suffer from such problems. Whilst it can be very debilitating it can also be a driver or source of inspiration for some people, at least once they have learnt to harness its effects. These things do not make a person 'mad', they are mainly misunderstood.

I personally know a lot about this, I am a creative person and I also suffer from this form of duality. The creative process that I go through on a daily basis of designing can occasionally suffer, i tend to go through cycles of productivity and inspiration soon followed by a period of doubt, denial and destruction which is repeated. Personally I have never been able to harness the potential of my mood changes and my internalised critique, I just have to ride them out, One day I hope to be less effected by them but until that time I shall be under the control of the Beast within.

_Saturn

No comments:

Post a Comment